Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cheap Fancy Cake - Lemon Blueberry


There was a tasty looking cake recipe on the ye olde Pinterest for a Lemon Blueberry cake. Everything about it appeared to be made from scratch(extra delicious) but I didn't have time for that. So I cheaped myself a variation of it. 


Here's what you'll need. You can switch out the blueberries from another berry, be mindful though that fresh strawberries like to loose their color in baking(I learned that from making a strawberry cobbler. It still tasted awesome). 


Follow the instructions on the box of your cake mix of choice, though I vote for Duncan Hines because it creates moist, spongy cakes. I layered as I went with this so I could have blueberries on top of blueberries(they sink in the batter while baking). Cake batter/blueberries/more cake batter/rest of blueberries - you can cut out the layering and just toss it all together, it'll still be delicious. 


With the blueberries the cakes were a little more moist than they otherwise would have been, I gave them ten minutes to cool before popping them out of their pans and then let them cool on a cake rack for about an hour. 


Topped off with vanilla icing(I don't like the taste of cream cheese so forget that nonsense) and it's done. There is icing between the layers and since I only had one can of the icing I didn't go too fanciful with the cake decorating. One can of icing is more than enough to compliment the tartness of the lemon cake and blueberries, anymore and it might be too sweet. Which I fully plan on risking next time for the sake of fancy icing decorations. 


And there we go, cheap and simple. I'd like to try the from scratch version someday but for now this one was awesome. AWESOME.


The much more fancy Lemon Blueberry cake recipe can be found here.





No comments:

Post a Comment